Sunday, May 2, 2010

Damar Varnish

During art shows I notice some paintings have more of a sheen than others.  Mine always carry a good bit of sheen because I love linseed oil.  That is part of the reason I started and stuck to oil paintings.  I want to be sure to protect my paintings as well (some of which in my house are over 8 years old).  I researched and decided to test out damar varnish on one of my older paintings I do not care for, the child in the pumpkin patch.  It passed the test.  I've applied several thin layers.  (Can I just say this stuff smells? I know it has turpentine in it but I think it actually smells stronger, if that is possible. My whole house smells even with my paintings upstairs WITH the door shut.)
The camera doesn't pick up the sheen well without it being a big flash of light.  Instead I will focus on a picture of the damar I used and save my City Grocery painting update for another day.  (Yes, I am back at it!)

No comments: