Thursday, November 20, 2008

blogless

I have been boring lately. I have done a lot of traveling and absolutely no painting.

I DID stop by the Moss Rock art show on the way out of town this past month and it was super great. I literally took the exit on a whim since it was going on and on my way home. It was worth it. I ran into some great long lost friends and I am really considering that show next year. We shall see!

I DO have two new 'toys.' I found a 'new' art store in Bham that I think I will frequent more often (I think I went to them in college and had forgot). It's no Hobby Lobby (ok maybe better but not as cheap and convenient).

I have this nice new little color wheel (see below) and this cool bucket of wax. The color wheel is a nice little helper. I was having a hard time lately mixing my colors. For $10 it best be worth it!

The wax is in place of the oleopasto I have been on the hunt for. I want to give my paintings more texture and I am hoping this will do it! We shall see! I have to read the directions a few more times. Once I finally use it I will share! Once again, I am out this weekend. It seems the holiday craziness started early this year!

2 comments:

Kristin said...

Hi Shelley,

I recently came across your blog and have been enjoying all your beautiful paintings! I love "Church Brights" & "City Lights" in particular.

I noticed that you got some wax to add texture to your paintings, and I thought you might be interested in another thickening medium too (although it is for acrylics rather than oils). I mix heavy gloss gel with my paints, and it's wonderful stuff: it thickens the paint and extends the color (so I find it to be a bit of a cost-saver, too!).

This gel also slows down the drying time of acrylics, so it's much easier to manipulate it for a longer period of time. I noticed that you're partial to oils, but in case you're interested in trying some thick acrylics for texture, you might like this gel. There are also some new lines of slow-drying acrylics (which I haven't tried yet), and I find that if I put my palette in an airtight container with some water (apparently vaseline works great too), the paints I mixed stay wet for quite awhile.

anyway, I don't know if you'll find any of that useful. :) But thank you for sharing your beautiful art, and keep up the wonderful work!

Take care,
Kristin

Shelley said...

Thanks Kristin! You are too sweet. And yes, that is SOOO very useful. I am seriously very motivated and think I will try some acrylics. It would definately make a lot of things easier. I can't wait. Thanks again and hope to hear from you again!