Saturday, January 30, 2010

Sewing detour - apron

So tonight I didn't paint but I spent a lot of q.t. in my art room...sewing.  I had on every light, the tv, the sewing machine, and you will see I carried in my iron/ironing board.  I was seriously close to blowing a fuse.  The lights would flicker when the iron would switch to sleep mode.  (Mom can tell you I've always been an electricity hog.  Even paying the electric bill on my own now makes little difference. :))

This week I decided to take on an apron sewing project after visiting a couple stores.  I examined the aprons in the stores and thought "I could do that."  So off to Joanns I went.  The ladies in there talked me through a 50,000,000,000 foot overview but I REALLY relied on the girls in the office.  Julie is a sewer and Emily has sewn some as well.  Katharyn learned with me (she has sewn more than I have as well). I would work a little each night and, the next morning, bring in my list of questions.  A BIG "thank you" to them...Julie especially.  I seriously couldn't have done it without y'all.  I never would have guessed we would use the term 'interfacing' outside the technology world we live in. 



So this is what I decided on Tuesday night (I would have to go back and get interfacing once I learned that is not a technique but a product to make the waist band stiffer):


The next two pictures are my 'scrap bins.'  The girls were saying how it is a great idea to have a material scrap bin.  Well, I have PLENTY of material left over so I a bin to contribute scraps.  I've kept a bin for the random pictures I like and tear out of magazines for some time now (to the right).  Pictures I want to paint, for decorating, and even some clothes...


In case you are interested in the fabric I selected....


When I told Julie about my project she hinted (in a very tactful way) that I may need some major time to get this accomplished.  I, of course, was initially thinking I would knock it out in one night.  The first night I learned why Emily hates the patterns.  They don't come pre-cut.  Good thing I aced cutting in kindergarten....this picture is after 2 nights of work.  Not ONE stitch done.  (end of Thurs night)


Below is my workstation. I'm going to be finding string and pins for weeks....Efox, this table is WELL used now!

All this while watching....name that movie...


This is my view and you can tell I am actually READING the instructions.  UNBELIEVABLE...


I quickly learned that the iron is my best friend.  I can seriously say I got this iron for high school graduation and it hasn't been used too too many times since.  Tonight it earned its keep...


Everything became a little easier when it began to take shape tonight!


And it's DONE!!! Next time I would make the ruffle on the bottom smaller and the body of it larger.  I might add a cute white button something on the pocket... but not now.  Alison has a shower tomorrow and I am going to surprise her.  (Good thing you have been gone all week, Alison, so I didn't spoil the surprise!) The theme of the gift is baking because....well.  It fits.






5 comments:

Linda said...

I am SOOOO proud! Hey, you want the little table top ironing board that I tried using at the condo but decided Dad's clothes were way too big to iron on it??? It's sitting in a closet. Could work well for this.

Shelley said...

OOooh yes! Good idea! Thanks, Mom!

Julie Young said...

Oh my gosh--this is FABULOUS!!! I am so proud of you! AND....you did the pocket, too! Look at you!! You can sew anything now! Woo-hoo!!!

EWian said...

Your apron turned out grate.

EWian

Claudia Lawrence said...

ur blog is really nice and interesting, You have maintain it so beautifully that I truly like & enjoy it. I just wanna suggest that u should go for blog advertising & marketing there is a website which is offering very unique features at affordable prices there are expert advertising team who will promote ur blog & affiliate ads through all over the networks.All u have to do is submit ur blog plus pay affordable prices & rest leave it to advertising team for promotion & marketing. Finally I have bookmarked ur blog & also shared with my friends hope u have a wonderful day & !!happy blogging!!.