Wednesday, October 21, 2009

It only took 5 years...


I picked this painting to hang in my first office at White Plume when I started (it will be 5 years ago this January). Just this weekend I FINALLY framed it! It may be my favorite painting so I should have done this a long time ago. Besides that fact, I basically look at it for hours every day!

I have to say, Hobby Lobby remains my old faithful. I went for a frame and they special ordered one for me. The frames tend to get busted around in the store. I learned a valuable lesson after I started to paint. Always buy a canvas in a standard frame size if you ever intend on framing it. I was able to find a ready-made open-backed frame for $20 when a custom frame would have been $90.

Onto a different subject. I was at my fav place to go when bumming around on a Saturday night, Barnes & Noble (to buy a nonfat caramel latte and to wander when I found a Jack Vettriano book on the sale rack. It includes all his favorite paintings and is a mini biography. It was very interesting to say the least...(and more scandalous than I imagined).

I've always been drawn to his style paintings. His were the first I tried to imitate (like this one framed). Little did I know HE learned by imitating other impressionists as well. So there is hope. I am trying my hardest to find my own style and subject matter. Last night I got rather frustrated. Do not worry, Seth. I will fix it.... but I did something to the Alabama painting that I do not like. It is on the bottom two corners...I was trying to make it shadowed. The last time I had such a 'disaster' I ended up with the end result of the painting above. I almost gave up because the sky was frustrating to me and I thought I "messed up." This just goes to show sometimes the best mistakes can be for a reason. So yes, I am telling myself that once again!

No comments: